Thursday, April 28, 2011

Charles, Prince of Wales: ‘I’m Stuck!’

In the week prior to William and Kate’s marriage, David Frost recalls for Piers Morgan one of his interviews with Prince Charles:

“I said to him, you know, when I was growing up, first of all, I wanted to be a railway engine driver because when English boys are small they all want to be that, and then a footballer or whatever.”

“But in your case, that would have been pointless. Because your future was preordained, predestined, irrelevant what you wanted to be. You didn't have any choice in it at all. What sort of effect did that have?”

“And he said well, yes, he said, when I was 5 or 6, I wanted to be a railway engine driver, he said. But then one morning, it was one morning I woke up when I was 6 years old and I thought, I'm stuck.”

Source: Piers Morgan Tonight, CNN, 26 April 2011.

Image: David Frost and Prince Charles.