Sunday, May 27, 2007

More Errors are made Solemnly than in Fun.

More errors are made solemnly than in fun. The rubs of family life come in moments of intense seriousness rather than in moments of light-heartedness. If nations - to magnify my point - declared international carnivals instead of international war, how much better that would be!

G.K. Chesterton once said, "A characteristic of the great saints is their power of levity. Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly. One 'settles down' into a sort of selfish seriousness; but one has to rise to a gay self-forgetfulness. A man falls into a 'brown study'; he reaches up at a blue sky."

In a world in which practically everybody else seems to be consecrated to the gravity of the situation, I would rise to glorify the levity of the situation. For I agree with Will Durant that "gaiety is wiser than wisdom."

I doubt, however, that I'll do much damage with my creed. The opposition is too strong. There are too many serious people trying to get everybody else to be too darned serious.

Source:
"If I Had My Life Over - I'd Pick More Daisies”
First found in the Reader's Digest, October 1953 issue, where it was attributed to Don Herold (1889-1966), author and humorist.

CITATION: http://www.benjaminrossen.com/DAISIES/index_daisies.htm

Image: “I'd Pick More Daisies.”